Thursday 1 January 2015

Games I played in 2014

So as stated in a previous post, I’ve achieved a hell of a lot this year – shipped two top 10 AAA games with Ubisoft (Watch_Dogs and Far Cry 4) as well my own first indie game, Jack B. Nimble (yes, this is me giving myself a pat on the back).

Somehow I even managed to play through and finish a bunch of games too – less than I was planning from last year (and mostly different), but still a healthy chunk of gaming. One observation is the large increase in indie titles that I’ve gobbled up over the year – significantly more than last year anyway. Another thing that is clear is how I’ve shifted my focus from almost exclusively Xbox 360 to PC and PS4. I’ve barely touched the Xbox One this year, something I think is down to Killzone: Shadowfall being my multiplayer game of choice rather than Titanfall – it just meant my PS4 was switched ‘on’ more often.

Xbox One

  • Super Time Force

Xbox 360

  • Gears of War 3
  • The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct
  • Metal Gear Solid 2
  • The Walking Dead: Season 2
  • The Wolf Among Us (Episode 1)

Playstation 4

  • Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare
  • Call of Duty: Ghosts
  • Wolfenstein: The New Order
  • Watch_Dogs
  • Watch_Dogs: Bad Blood
  • P.T.
  • Flower
  • Games of Thrones (Episode 1)

Playstation 3

  • Uncharted 3
  • Journey

Playstation Vita

  • Thomas Was Alone

PC

  • Quake
  • Quake Mission Pack 1: Scourge of Armagon
  • Half-Life 2
  • Half-Life 2: Episode One
  • Half-Life 2: Episode Two
  • Home
  • Gunpoint
  • Gone Home
  • Savant – Ascent
  • Jazzpunk
  • Dear Esther
  • Organ Trail

While I didn’t finish FTL, Don’t Starve or Heavy Bullets, their rogue-like nature had me pouring hundreds of hours into them between them (especially FTL).

So yeah, I basically didn’t even touch my pile of shame or do even a tenth as many game jams as I wanted – as a result my plans for 2015 are a little more restrained than last year (but still probably too much).

  • Start working on a new indie game (!!!)
  • Finish the final content updates for Jack B. Nimble
  • Port Jack B. Nimble to other platforms
      • Android
      • Windows 8 and Mobile
      • PC, Mac and Linux
  • Submit something to Pixel Dailies at least once a week
  • Participate in the following game jams
      • EVERY One Game A Month jam
      • Global Game Jam 2015
      • Ubisoft Game Jam (if there is another)
  • Play through the following games
      • Quake Mission Pack 2
      • Portal 2
      • STALKER
      • FEAR
      • Battlefield 4
      • Far Cry 4
      • Metal Gear Solid 3
      • Assassin’s Creed Revelations

There are a few things that I totally dropped from last year; I decided to stop taking part in Ludum Dare/One Game A Month in favour of shifting my focus to Jack B. Nimble. Even taking part in a weekend jam had consequences on development, so around April I just stopped jamming. I also put One Day From Retirement on ice; I wasn’t very happy with the progress I was making and again, couldn’t give up time that I needed for other projects. It may come back in some form…

It’s rather unlikely that I will experience the same level as achievement in 2015 as I did in 2014, but I will be hitting the age of 30 – which is pretty good going, aye?